The first Methodist Episcopal congregation in Brooklyn. Early services in New York were conducted starting in 1766 by Thomas Webb, a captain in the British army. Webb also preached atBrooklyn, Newtown and Jamaica. Woolman Hickson, who conducted outdoor services in front of the site that would later become Sands Street M. E. He was the second preacher recorded in Brooklyn. Peter Cannon, a cooper who lived near the ferry, opened his shop to Hickson as a place of worship and in 1785 or 1786 Hickson was able to form a "class of several members". The first appointed preachers (1789) were Rev.
According to Bailey, "an episcopal society existed in Brooklyn as early as 1766, which was incorporated in 1787". The first St. Ann's Church was constructed in 1795, replaced in 1824 and then again in 1877.1 The former St. Ann's Church is now part of the Packer Collegiate Institute. (St.
The First Reformed Dutch Church of Brooklyn was established in 1654 as one of three Collegiate Dutch in what would one day become Kings County - for the towns of Breucklyn, Flatbush and Flatlands. The first church for the congregation was constructed in 1666 near the intersection of Fulton and Smith Streets. According to Bailey, this church was replaced in about 1706. In 1810, the third church was constructed on Joralemon Street. A fourth church, designed by Minard Lafever, was constructed in 1835.
William McNamara was a New York-based architect, active in the 1850s through 1870s.
The property at the corner of Leonard and Maujer (formerly Remsen) Streets was purchased in April of 1853. Cornerstone laid on July 31, 1853 and the church was dedicated by Bishop Loughlin on October 29, 1854 (making it one of the first churches to be dedicated in the Dioceses of Brooklyn, which formed in 1854). Rev. Peter McLaughlin "of Gowanus" was the first pastor for the new church.
The First Presbyterian Church was one of the oldest Protestant congregations in the village of Williamsburgh. It was also one of the most short-lived and had a tempestuous start. The congregation was founded as part of the New School Presbyterian Synod on May 26, 1842. At its founding, the church had 15 members, seven male and eight female. That same year, a number of founding parishioners left the congregation to form the First Congregational Church of Williamsburgh.
The first mass in Greenpoint was celebrated in 1855 in a hall at the corner of Franklin and Eagle Streets. Later masses were held at a hall at the northeast corner of Manhattan Avenue and India Street. In 1856, Bishop Loughlin purchased lots on the south side of India Street between Manhattan Avenue and Oakland Street, and church structure was constructed on that site and dedicated in early 1858. Prior to 1872, the parish purchased the plot of land on the east side of Manhattan Avenue at the head of Milton Street from Samuel J. Tilden.
Immaculate Conception Church is commonly called St. Mary. Founded in 1847 as an offshoot of Sts. Peter & Paul for Irish Catholics living in East Williamsburg. Church constructed in 1853. The parish closed in about 2014 and merged with Most Holy Trinity.
Founded in 1845, originally a parish of the Diocese of New York.