The First Fresbyterian Church, in South Fourth street, corner of Sixth — This church was organized in May 1842, and consisted of fifteen members. It was, as its name imports, the first Presbyterian church established in this city, and has received since its organization, two hundred and eighty-two members.1 In 1848 the congregation built a new church at the corner of South 4th and Roebling (Sixth) Street.2
First Presbyterian disbanded in 1887, and the building was sold Trinity Methodist Protestant Church. In the late 1890s, the building was bought by Father Krauczunas of St. Mary Queen of Angels parish, a Lithunian Roman Catholic parish founded in 1892. By 1914, the church had over 10,000 parisioners.3 . The steeple of the church was removed in 1898, and the portico was removed and the front enclosed likely after 1910. Armburster, in a caption to a ca. 1920 photo, refers to the building as a "Polish Catholic church".
The building is now home to El Puente.
- 1Samuel Reynolds, A History of the City of Williamsburgh (Williamsburgh [N.Y.]: Joseph C. Gandar, 1852), 42.
- 2Henry Reed Stiles, A History of the City of Brooklyn : Including the Old Town and Village of Brooklyn, the Town of Bushwick, and the Village and City of Williamsburgh, vol. 3, 3 vols. (Brooklyn, N.Y.: Pub. by subscription, 1867), 758-759.
- 3The Catholic Church in the United States of America, vol. III (New York: Catholic Editing Company, 1914), 570
211 South 4th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211