199 North Fifth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
North Fifth Street M. E. Church, North Fifth street near Fifth, was organized April, 1849, and at that time, met in a school house, in North Sixth street, near First, from whence they removed to a frame building in North Fifth near Fourth street. Its first officers were David H. Betts, Henry 0. Austin, Richard White, John C. Brig,",, William Johnson, John Cox, Wm. P. Coleman, Wm. Butler and Henry A. Bodwell. The present edifice was erected in 1849 ; the officers being D. H. Betts, H. 0. Austin, R. White, J. C. Briggs, W. Johnson, J. Cox, W. P. Coleman, W. Butler, and H. A. Bodwell. Number of members at that time forty-three. The first pastor was the Rev. S. H. Clark, 1848; followed by Revs. S. Meridith, 1849; E. S. Hebberd, 1851-2; C Gorse, 1853-4; 1. Wildey, 1855; C. T. Mallory, 1856-7; M. Staples, 1858-9; J. D. Bouton, 1860-1; S. W. King, 1862; H. F. Pease, 1863; W. F. Collins, 1864; E. S. Hebberd, 1865-6; and W. Platts, 1867-8. The number of full members on record since its organization, was six hundred and seventy-six, number at present time, one hundred and sixty; scholars and teachers in Sunday school, three hundred and seventy-five. The church is a plain, substantial edifice, built of brick, with lecture and class rooms in the basement and capable of seating in the audience room a congregation of about five hundred persons. The building is valued at $20,000. The parsonage, in North Fifth street near Fifth, is a frame building valued at about $4,000.