St. Michael parish in Flushing predates the founding of the Diocese of Brooklyn. The parish's official founding was in 1848 (making it the third oldest in Queens County), but parish lore says that services began here in 1833. The church itself was constructed in 1962, designed by architect John O'Malley.
"Th. Engelhardt is preparing plans for a four-story brick (stone front) store and flat, 22x90, to be erected on the northeast corner of Bedford avenue and Hayward [sic, Heyward] street, and a similar private flat, 28x65, adjoining, for Jacob Bossert, to cost $30,000..."1
The northwest corner of Evergreen Avenue and Woodbine Street is believed to be the site of first house constructed in the New Bushwick Lotts, an area granted by Peter Stuyvesant to the residents of the village of Bushwick in 1661. The first house was erected here in about 1700, built by a man named Van Nuyse. The house and three lots (about 70 acres total) were purchased by Leffert Lefferts from William Van Nuyse of New Utrecht in 1724.
Bushwick Savings Bank was founded in 1868, but appears to have struggled in its early years.
Constructed in 1889, this bank was ideally located at the foot of Grand Street across the street from the Grand Street Ferry terminal. With the opening of the Williamsburg Bridge in 1903, traffic on the ferry quickly waned, and by 1912 the bank had relocated its headquarters to Havemeyer Street, facing onto the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.
Congregation founded in 1895 for second- and third-generation German immigrants. The Romanesque church features stained glass windows from the studio of Franz Meyer, Munich.
- Page 1
- Next page