New entries

Public Bath #4

In the early 20th Century bathhouses were constructed throughout Brooklyn to provide hygiene to residents in areas that lacked baths, and sometimes even plumbing, in their homes. The Huron Street bathhouse was the fourth of seven public baths constructed in Brooklyn between 1900 and 1910.

St. Michael Church (Flushing)

St. Michael parish in Flushing predates the founding of the Diocese of Brooklyn. The parish's official founding was in 1848 (making it the third oldest in Queens County), but parish lore says that services began here in 1833. The church itself was constructed in 1962, designed by architect John O'Malley.

James Rodwell

James Rodwell was a builder who was very active in Williamsburgh and Bushwick from 1834 through the 1880s. In addition to his work as a builder, Rodwell was also a real estate speculator and served as Fire Commissioner for the City of Brooklyn and was a director for various banks and fire insurance companies in Williamsburgh.

316-318 South 5th Street

The two buildings at 316 and 318 South 5th Street (which were later renumbered to 318 and 320) were nearly identical to the rest of the buildings on the south side of North 5th between Marcy Avenue and Rodney Street. The only detail distinguishing these two buildings from the rest of the row is the treatment of the basement (brick with brownstones trim instead of rusticated brownstone).

812 Grand Street

Real Estate Record lists this as two buildings on Grand Street, "ss, 80 w Bushwick av". The description would point to 806 and 808 Grand Street, however these are part of a larger row of Italianate buildings and 806 is only 25' wide. 812 Grand Street, which is only 38' west of Bushwick Avenue, is a 30' wide neo-Grec building of this period; 808 next door is also 30' wide, but appears to be part of the Italianate row.