316-318 South 5th Street
- Read more about 316-318 South 5th Street
- Log in to post comments
Real Estate Record lists this as two buildings on Grand Street, "ss, 80 w Bushwick av". The description would point to 806 and 808 Grand Street, however these are part of a larger row of Italianate buildings and 806 is only 25' wide.
Block of 8 dwellings and stores, on the south side of Grand Street starting one building west of Leonard Street.
Pair of transitional Greek Revival/Italianate stores and residences, probably circa 1850.
A rare (and perhaps early?) non-ecclesiastical building designed by Thomas Houghton.
Source: “Buildings Projected,” Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide, (August 18, 1882): 783.
Constructed in 1851 at a cost of $13,000, this was the second church for the York Street M. E. Church.
Fourth church of the Sands Street Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest Methodist Episcopal congregation in Kings County.
The parish of St. Patrick was founded in the early 1840s, prior to the establishment of the Diocese of Brooklyn. The origins of the church are a bit obscure, but it appears to have been founded as a parish for Irish Catholics in East Brooklyn (Wallabout), with the first services held in private structures near Wallabout Street and Flushing Avenue. Early secondary-source references to the church call it the Wallabout Church. In 1843, Rev. Hugh Maguire was appointed as the first priest for the parish.
1917. Designed by Sass & Springsteen for S. Kaplan & Son, owner and builder, of 750 Driggs Avenue.
"Union Pl. 70 n. of NW cor. Kent St."
Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 375, May 22, 1875), 361.