151 Grand Street
“Buildings Projected,” Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide 19, no. 484 (n.d.): 514.
- Read more about 151 Grand Street
- Log in to post comments
“Buildings Projected,” Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide 19, no. 484 (n.d.): 514.
This building at 125 Eagle Street looks like it was once something, and sure enough it was. It was built in 1891 as the Children's Mission, a project of the Greenpoint Reformed Church on Kent Street. The Mission was established on November 20, 1881 as a Sunday school occupying a storefront on Eagle Street. The school quickly grew, adding rooms in a nearby building, but by 1883 those accommodations were already insufficient and the children of the school began raising money for a new building. Over the course of seven or eight years the students raised about $1,500.
St. James Cathedral Basilica is the second church building to serve this parish. The first church was constructed in 1822 and was the first Roman Catholic church on Long Island. In 1852, St. James became the cathedral parish for the newly-established Diocese of Brooklyn under Bishop Loughlin. While the Diocese long planned to construct a new cathedral in Fort Greene, that plan never came to fruition and St. James has continued to serve as the cathedral church for the Diocese, although many of the Diocese's larger ceremonies are held elsewhere.
Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians parish was founded as Holy Angels parish in 1854, and was the first German national parish in Queens County. The parish was later named St. Mary's, then St. Mary's Winfield and is now known as Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians. Until 1949, this area of Woodside was called Winfield.
St. Michael parish in Flushing predates the founding of the Diocese of Brooklyn. The parish's official founding was in 1848 (making it the third oldest in Queens County), but parish lore says that services began here in 1833. The church itself was constructed in 1962, designed by architect John O'Malley.
Parish Center and Institute for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish, Astoria, Queens.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Convent in Astoria, Queens was originally constructed circa 1891. The convent was enlarged and refaced in a stripped down Moderne style in 1955 under designs by Diocesan architect William Boegel.