St. Peter Lutheran Church

Year
1887
Architect
Building type
Material

1010 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
United States

Block
1942
Lot
12

"St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1868 to serve German families in the Bedford area of Brooklyn. The society met for a year on Bedford Avenue, near DeKalb Avenue, before moving in 1869 to the former Puritan Baptist Church on DeKalb Avenue at Walworth Street. On May 13, 1888, the congregation opened their present church, a Gothic Revival building that could accomodate 1,000 persons and cost $70,000. The tower contains a chime of 11 bells cast by Meneely & Co. of Troy, NY, in 1910. The spire has since been removed from the tower." 1

NB 241 of 1887. 2

  • 1St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church, nycago
  • 2Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, v. 39, no. 989 (February 26, 1887): 283.