The parish of St. Patrick was founded in the early 1840s, prior to the establishment of the Diocese of Brooklyn. The origins of the church are a bit obscure, but it appears to have been founded as a parish for Irish Catholics in East Brooklyn (Wallabout), with the first services held in private structures near Wallabout Street and Flushing Avenue. Early secondary-source references to the church call it the Wallabout Church. In 1843, Rev. Hugh Maguire was appointed as the first priest for the parish.
First mass on the morning of August 4, 1889, in the second floor of the frame building at 1747 Fulton Street. Ground for the church was purchased in September, 1889, and in October the corner stone was laid by the late Bishop Laughlin.1 Designed by Thomas F.
"St. Peter's German Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1868 to serve German families in the Bedford area of Brooklyn. The society met for a year on Bedford Avenue, near DeKalb Avenue, before moving in 1869 to the former Puritan Baptist Church on DeKalb Avenue at Walworth Street. On May 13, 1888, the congregation opened their present church, a Gothic Revival building that could accomodate 1,000 persons and cost $70,000. The tower contains a chime of 11 bells cast by Meneely & Co. of Troy, NY, in 1910.
Bedford Reformed Church (Bedford-Stuyvesant)
1160 Bedford Avenue at Madison Street (1875-disbanded 1904) – ren. Bedford Ref. (1879) – became Scottish Rite Cathedral; then Miller Memorial Nazarene Church; now Community Worship Center of the Church of the Nazarene
Bedford Avenue, near Jefferson Street (1854-1875) – known as East Reformed Dutch Church