St. Vincent de Paul R. C Church

Laying of the cornerstone attended by 10,000 people, let by Bishop Loughlin. Construction was "begun on the second day of June under the superintendence of Mr. P. C. Keeley [sic], architect, who numbers this as his three hundred and eighty fifth church edifice he has been engaged in building on this continent. Its dimensions are 68 feet in width by 156 feet in depth, and judging by the massive appearance of the walls, constructed by the builder, Mr. Jas. Radwell [sic, probably Rodwell, a prominent local builder], will be as substantial an edifice as any in the States. The style of architecture will be pure Gothic. The front is to be composed of Belleville grey stone with Ohio stone trimmings, and will compare with any in the city when complete. The original plan called for but one tower, which has been modified by adding two turrets on the westerly side next to the intended pastoral residence, which will be separated from the church by an arch to be surmounted by a statue of the patron Saint." 1

Dedication of Church of St. Vincent de Paul - morning of October 17, 1869. "The church which yet requires some few finishing strokes, and the pastoral residence adjoining, the foundations for which are already ladi, will cost when complete and entirely furnished, upwards of $100,000, or about $10,000 in excess of the amount first estimated." 2

  • 1. Brooklyn Daily Eagle, July 20, 1868 (p. 3)
  • 2. Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 18 October 1869 (p.2)
Year
1868
Building type
Block
2328
Lot
15
Street
North 6th Street
Plain address
165 North 6th Street
Address

165 North 6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
United States

Builder
James Rodwell
City
Brooklyn
Material

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…