The First Baptist Church, Greenpoint, was organized in 1847. At that time there "about thirteen Baptists living in Greenpoint", who organized a church with 9 members in the old Origen house on Franklin Avenue. "Rev. Mr. Jones and others supplied the pulpit" from 1847 to 1849. In 1849, the church erected a small structure at the corner of Leonard and Calyer Streets with a capacity of 100 worshippers. Mr. Peter Boyce officiated from 1851 to 1855, and was ordained in February of 1855. During this time, the first chaurch was enlarged. After a series of ministers, Rev.
The First Fresbyterian Church, in South Fourth street, corner of Sixth — This church was organized in May 1842, and consisted of fifteen members. It was, as its name imports, the first Presbyterian church established in this city, and has received since its organization, two hundred and eighty-two members.1
Bushwick Central Methodist Episcopal Church (originally Bushwick Avenue M.E. Church, now Bushwick United M.E. Church) is a Romanesque Revival style brick and terra cotta church built in 1887, designed by George W. Kramer. Contructed in 1901, the existing structure replaced an earlier frame church that was constructed in 1887 (W. J. Browne, architect). DOB records indicate that the existing structure is an alteration, however the former church was completely replaced.
All Saints parish was organized in 1866 as an offshoot of Most Holy Trinity parish on Montrose. As with Most Holy Trinity, All Saints parish was organized to serve the expanding German immigrant population in Williamsburg and Bushwick. The first church for All Saints was a brick structure, was consecrated in 1867. By the 1890s, the parish had outgrown its original church and the architecture firm of Schickel & Ditmars was hired to design a new church.
Church was founded in 1869. The first structure used by the congregation was a former public hall on Cumberland Street. From 1871 to 1893, the congregation worshipped in a frame church that they had moved from Gold Street to Carlton Avenue near Myrtle Avenue.1
The Parish of the Most Precious Blood was founded in 1922, with Edward A. Holran as the first parish priest. The original parishioners were predominantly Irish, German and Italian residents of Long Island City. Fr. James J. Comerford was the priest at the time of the construction of the chuch.