New Entries

Place

This congregation was a spin-off from Sands Street M. E. Church. On 18 January 1818 the church was incorporated as a satellite of the Sands Street M. E. Church, after the number of Black congregants at that church exceeded the capacity of the "colored gallery" there. In 1819, the trustees of Sands Street imposed a fee of $10 per quarter on the Black worshippers, compelling the majority of them to secede to form their own church. The first trustees for the congregation were Peter Cruger, Israel Jemison, Caesar Sprong, Benjamin Cruger and John E. Jackson.

Building

Constructed in 1851 at a cost of $13,000, this was the second church for the York Street M. E. Church. 

Building

The first church for the York Street M. E. Church, which was the first to colonized from the Sands Street M. E. Church, was dedicated on 6 April 1824. It was a frame building, 42' by 55' and constructed at a cost of $5,000. This structure was enlarged in 1835. In 1851 a new brick church was constructed.

Building

Erected in 1831 as a spin-off of Sands Street M. E. Church, this congregation was established as its own station in 1835.

Building

Fourth church of the Sands Street Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest Methodist Episcopal congregation in Kings County. Originally constructed in 1844, the building burned in the great fire of 1848 and was rebuilt in the following year.

Place

Child church of the Sands Street Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in 1823. Its first house of worship was a frame building designed by Gamaliel King and Joseph Moser that was dedicated on 6 June 1824. The church was enlarged in 1835 and had side galleries added in 1839. A parsonage was constructed in 1828.

Place

The first Methodist Episcopal congregation in Brooklyn. Early services in New York were conducted starting in 1766 by Thomas Webb, a captain in the British army. Webb also preached atBrooklyn, Newtown and Jamaica. Woolman Hickson, who conducted outdoor services in front of the site that would later become Sands Street M. E. He was the second preacher recorded in Brooklyn. Peter Cannon, a cooper who lived near the ferry, opened his shop to Hickson as a place of worship and in 1785 or 1786 Hickson was able to form a "class of several members". The first appointed preachers (1789) were Rev.

Place

According to Bailey, "an episcopal society existed in Brooklyn as early as 1766, which was incorporated in 1787". The first St. Ann's Church was constructed in 1795, replaced in 1824 and then again in 1877.1  The former St. Ann's Church is now part of the Packer Collegiate Institute. (St.