Powers Street M. E. Church
- Read more about Powers Street M. E. Church
- Log in to post comments
Religious structures
The northwest corner of Evergreen Avenue and Woodbine Street is believed to be the site of first house constructed in the New Bushwick Lotts, an area granted by Peter Stuyvesant to the residents of the village of Bushwick in 1661. The first house was erected here in about 1700, built by a man named Van Nuyse. The house and three lots (about 70 acres total) were purchased by Leffert Lefferts from William Van Nuyse of New Utrecht in 1724.
Cornerstone laid in September 1889. The current structure superseded an older chapel designed by Thomas Houghton1 dating to 1875 that was located just to the east on Hooper Street.
Congregation started in 1847, first worshiping on Powers Street (Third Avenue). Constructed in 1851 for St. Peter's Episcopal Church. The cornerstone for the church was laid in 1850 and the building opened for services in May, 1851. By 1856, St. Peter's had outgrown the building and began construction of a new church on State Street, near Bond. Between 1857 and 1863 the building was occupied by the First Reform Presbyterian Church. The building was sold to the Church of the Convenanters in 1860. In 1864, the Second United Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn acquired the building.
Congregation founded in 1894, and moved to this location in 1902. The church building has been altered, with a new, larger, narthex added and modifications made to the design of steeple and front facade.
Congregation was organized in 1874 and originally located in the former Pacific Street Chapel of the First Presbyterian Church (301 Pacific Street). The congregation disbanded in 2007 and the property transferred to the Metropolitan New York Lutheran Synod, which subsequently sold off the properties. The church itself is now occupied by the Temple of Restoration, while the former rectory has been converted to residential use.
Founded in 1848, St. Monica's was the second-oldest Roman Catholic parish in Queens County. The parish closed in 1973. The existing church was constructed in 1856 and substantially demolished in 1998 following the collapse of the apse and sanctuary. The church facade, designated a NYC Landmark in 1979, was saved and incorporated into the design of the York College Day Care Center, constructed in 2002 (Fox & Fowle, architects).
The First Baptist Church, Greenpoint, was organized in 1847. At that time there "about thirteen Baptists living in Greenpoint", who organized a church with 9 members in the old Origen house on Franklin Avenue. "Rev. Mr. Jones and others supplied the pulpit" from 1847 to 1849. In 1849, the church erected a small structure at the corner of Leonard and Calyer Streets with a capacity of 100 worshippers. Mr. Peter Boyce officiated from 1851 to 1855, and was ordained in February of 1855. During this time, the first chaurch was enlarged. After a series of ministers, Rev.
The First Fresbyterian Church, in South Fourth street, corner of Sixth — This church was organized in May 1842, and consisted of fifteen members. It was, as its name imports, the first Presbyterian church established in this city, and has received since its organization, two hundred and eighty-two members.