All Saints parish was organized in 1866 as an offshoot of Most Holy Trinity parish on Montrose. As with Most Holy Trinity, All Saints parish was organized to serve the expanding German immigrant population in Williamsburg and Bushwick. The first church for All Saints was a brick structure, was consecrated in 1867.
New Entries
Partnership of J. William Schickel and Isaac E. Ditmars. Active primarily in New York City as well as in Brooklyn. The firm was especially known for its work on Roman Catholic churches for German congregations.
Congregation founded in 1895 for second- and third-generation German immigrants. The Romanesque church features stained glass windows from the studio of Franz Meyer, Munich.
Church was founded in 1869. The first structure used by the congregation was a former public hall on Cumberland Street.
Architect of St. Luke's German Evangelical Lutheran Church (1894), St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church, 222 Adelphi Street (Marshall & Walters, 1888), Memorial Presbyterain Church (Pugin & Walter, 1882-83), Chapel and Sunday School (Marshall & Walter, 1883), Seventh Avenue & St. John's Place.
Continental Army Plaza was historically known as Washington Plaza and Williamsburg Plaza. The park was designed by architects Lord & Hewlett, and the statue of George Washington at Valley Forge was the work of Henry M. Shrady.
The original Church of St. Rose of Lima was constructed 1870. The wood-frame Gothic-style church was designed by Thomas F. Houghton. The church, with a capacity of 300, was the first Catholic church to serve the people of the Greenfield section of southern Brooklyn.
First mass on the morning of August 4, 1889, in the second floor of the frame building at 1747 Fulton Street.
Pagination
- Previous page
- Page 21
- Next page