New Entries
Demolished ca. 1950s for construction of the BQE. The on-ramp from Hamilton Avenue runs underneath the site.
Joseph F. Berlenbach, father of architect Francis J. Berlenbach, was listed as a carpenter in the 1872 Brooklyn city directory (at 174 Meserole Street). In the same year he was listed as the architect of rectory for Holy Trinity Church on Montrose Avenue (as Joseph Berndach).
Street names and numbering in Brooklyn changed a number of times. Jeremy Lechtzin wrote a wonderful article in the NY Times about the great Brooklyn street renumbering in 1870.
Hall associated with Ss. Peter & Paul Parish. The building was contracted as a gift of Mrs. Jeremiah Walsh and named in honor of her brother. References: "Father Malone's Reward", New York Times, August 16, 1897. "The McCadden [sic] Memorial", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, May 6, 1897, 16.
Constructed in 1848 for the First Universalist Society of Williamsburgh. The First Universalist Society of Williamsburgh (later All Souls Universalist Church) was founded in 1845 and occupied this site from 1848 until about 1873, when All Souls relocated to South 10th Street.
The congregation was organized in 1887 as a mission station by Rev. J.P. Beyer. In 1897, the congregation dedicated a new structure on Knickerbocker Avenue.
Pagination
- Previous page
- Page 26
- Next page